Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Double Chocolate Cupcakes
|photo byJoseph De Leo|
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For the frosting:
- 13.5 ounce bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- raspberries for garnish
- Make the cupcakes: Heat oven to 350° F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk and vinegar; set aside until curdled, 5 minutes. Whisk in the canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined (do not overmix). Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the soy milk in a small pot over medium heat. Pour over the chocolate (make sure all the chocolate is covered). Let sit for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth and shiny. Let cool for 5 minutes. Frost the cupcakes and top each with a raspberry.
By Sarah Copeland, Family Issue 2013