It’s summertime, but that doesn’t have to mean all backyard grilling all of the time. For a light yet satisfying summer meal, try this recipe from the American Heart Association’s “Go Red for Women” campaign to create heart-healthy choices. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 salmon fillets with skin (about 5 ounces each),
- rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium lemon, quartered (optional)
- Calories 187
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 74 mg
- Sodium 388 mg
- Carbohydrates 6 g
- Fiber 0 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 28 g
- Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 very
- lean meat
- Sweet Spiced Salmon
- Serves 4; 3 ounces fish per serving
1. Set the orange zest aside in a small bowl.
2. In a large shallow glass dish, stir together the orange juice and lemon juice. Add the fish, turning to coat. Cover
and refrigerate for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, stir the brown sugar, paprika, curry powder, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne into the orange zest. Set
4. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
5. Drain the fish, discarding the marinade. Arrange the fillets with the skin side down on the baking sheet. Rub the
brown sugar mixture over the flesh side of the fish.
6. Bake for 14 minutes, or until the fish is cooked to the desired doneness.
7. Using a metal spatula, lift the fish out of the skin. Transfer to plates. Serve with the lemon wedges.
8. Cook’s Tip: Marinate the salmon for only 30 minutes so the texture will remain firm.
© American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes like this from our Go Red For Women magazine
cookbooks published by Publications International, Ltd. (PIL) at ShopHeart.org https://www.goredforwomen.org