Do you know what your loved ones end of life care preferences are? How about your own? When our loved ones are nearing end of life, there are a lot of decisions and choices that need to be made.
We should all consider if our wishes are known by those who will speak for us when we are near death.
At any age, a medical emergency could leave you too ill or injured to make your own health care decisions.
Making a health care plan is a very important step to make sure you get the medical care and intervention that you would want.
A few important pieces to consider are
- Who do you want to represent you when you cannot make decisions for yourself?
- Do you want extreme measures taken to prolong life?
- Do you wish to pass at home?
- What would you want your family to do for arrangements once you pass?
- What is important to you?
Involve your loved ones in the conversation. Ultimately, these are all choices that you have, but you can share your wishes with your family now.
Talk to your doctor. Have your advanced care plans documented with your physician or hospital so that your wishes will be known and honored.
Sometimes this is a very hard conversation to have, but one that you should do today. You and your family will be glad that you did.