In our area of the country that means fall is here. Time for back to school, Football Friday, sweatshirts in the evening, and packing away those summer clothes.
So many good fruits and veggies are still in season. In our family, nothing says September more than apples! We have so many family favorites. Apple dumplings, apple pie, coffee cake, apple cider and so much more!
One of our go to breakfast recipes is Apple Cinnamon Pancakes! Such a fun twist on a breakfast staple!
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp.baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. butter, divided, plus more for cooking
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- Mix flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. In a large bowl, whisk to combine egg yolk, vanilla, milk, and melted butter. Gently fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined, then fold in 1½ cups of chopped apple.
- In another medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold egg white into batter gently with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Make apple topping: in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add remaining apples, brown sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and a 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened and mixture is jammy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Pour about 1/4 cup pancake batter into pan. When little bubbles appear, about 1 to 2 minutes, flip and continue cooking until both sides are lightly golden. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter to pan as needed. Serve pancakes topped with apple mixture.
You can find more wonderful recipes at Delish.com